i love granola.
always have. and it’s so easy to make fresh from your own kitchen. it doesn’t even require heating your oven and baking for long hours. cooking up granola in a skillet is so simple.
right now, i also have a love affair with raw pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas.
recently mercola had a pretty compelling list of health benefits of the little seeds that made me love them even more! eating the seeds raw maintains the integrity of the healthy oils. and of course, choose organic pumpkin seeds if possible to ensure pesticide-free granola. here’s a breakdown:
1. pumpkin seeds are high in magnesium, one of my favorite minerals. it is necessary for heart health, muscle function and especially bowel regulation.
2. pumpkin seeds are high in zinc, which is incredibly valuable for immune health.
3. pumpkin seeds are high in omega-3 fats.
4. pumpkin seeds have been proven to be important for prostate health.
5. pumpkin seeds help improve insulin regulation.
6. pumpkin seeds help improve unwanted symptoms in postmenopausal women.
7. pumpkin seeds may provide benefits for heart and liver health, particularly when mixed with flax seeds.
8. pumpkin seeds are high in tryptophan, which is a key amino acid needed to induce sleep.
9. pumpkin seeds have incredible anti-inflammatory effects.
now you love pumpkin seeds, too, don’t you.
Autumn Skillet Granola
Servings 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- Combine oats, coconut, sesame seeds, flaxmeal and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Heat honey, maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oat mixture to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until toasted. Stir in cherries and pumpkin seeds.
- Spread in a single layer on parchment to cool. Break into smaller pieces before serving.