disclosure: I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this Cheddar and apple quesadillas with bacon jam recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cabot Cheese and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
here in south texas, things are slowly returning to full swing.
kids are in school. husband is at work (though he always has been). work is picking up. so now’s when i need kid-friendly, budget-friendly, time-friendly meals.
you know, the after homework, before bathtime, sit down if you can meals that sneak up on you every. single. night.
gosh, i love quesadillas for those crazy nights. everyone loves them. they’re so fast to make. and you can load then with all sorts of things to fit each little picky palate.
and the cheese. everyone loves cheese. and that’s why i love and have had a long love affair with Cabot Creamery cheese.
Cabot is a cooperative owned by 800 farm families throughout new england & new york and 100% of profits go back to the farmers. i fondly remember driving past many Cabot dairy farms when we lived in northern new york. all of those happy cows and beautiful pasture land.
i’ve also long appreciated that all Cabot Cheddars are 100% naturally lactose-free, naturally aged, and naturally gluten-free! in addition to the cheeses (please find the Alpine Cheddar cause it’s my faaaavorite), they also make Greek yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, butter and whey protein.
so i’ve joined forces with Cabot to bring you these Cheddar and apple quesadillas with bacon jam. they have a little fresh sage in there too, just to usher in all of those fall flavors you’ve been waiting for. and man are they flavorful and delicious! and that oozy, yummy cheese… i’d almost think it’s cool outside and really for chunky sweaters.
Cheddar and Apple Quesadillas with Bacon Jam
For Bacon Jam:
- 1/2 pound bacon finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee or water
- 8 (8-9 inch) tortillas I used Siete Almond Flour tortillas
- 8 ounces Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 2 medium apples cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
To make Bacon Jam:
- Cook finely chopped bacon and red onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once bacon begins to brown, pour off most of the bacon fat and discard.
- Return pan to heat and stir in brown sugar, cider vinegar, and coffee (or water). Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat to cool.
To make Quesadillas:
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- On one tortilla, evenly spread 1 ounce shredded Cheddar. Top with one-quarter of apple slices, about 2 tablespoons Bacon Jam, and sprinkle with one-quarter of chopped fresh sage. Top with another 1 ounce shredded Cheddar. Place another tortilla on top.
- Transfer to hot skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until tortilla is golden brown and Cheddar has melted. Remove to a cutting board and cut into fourths.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.