disclosure: this post is sponsored by crunchmaster. i received samples and was compensated for my time.
happy valentine’s day!
i think it is safe to say that on this day, of all days of the year, there will be no shortage of sweets.
according to this fascinating infographic, 58 million pounds of chocolates will be purchased this week. 448 million dollars will be spent on candy this week. and 8 billion (with a b) candy conversation hearts are made every single year.
now if you know me, you know i do love my sweets. they are my frenemy. when i go there, i do try to keep it as healthy as i can… like this pomegranate pistachio rose valentine’s bark.
but i think it’s time to make valentine’s day a little bit more savory. let’s celebrate love with the ones we love, and top it with a little spice and crunch.
this za’atar beet hummus with cucumber-feta relish is the answer. and so. so. so. delicious.
a simple mix of spices you undoubtedly have in your pantry make the homemade za’atar mix. and soon you’ll be adding it every.where. a quick and easy (and valentine’s colored!) hummus, topped with a crunchy-fresh relish. it is everything.
don’t forget to pick up several bags of crunchmaster crackers (and grab a coupon here!). they are certified gluten-free, salty, crunchy, and if you’re like my son, you’ll want to eat the entire bag in one sitting. they are a great flavor pair and perfect size scoop for this hummus, along with some simple cut vegetables.
okay. and throw in a few berries, some wine, and that bark, too.
and have a great day of love, surrounded by everyone you care about.
Za'atar Beet Hummus with Cucumber-Feta Relish
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh pepper
for cucumber-feta relish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
for beet hummus:
- 1 15.5-ounce garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 2 cooked baby beets
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons za'atar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional
- extra olive oil
- extra za'atar
To make za'atar:
- Combine oregano, thyme, sesame seeds, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make cucumber-relish:
- Combine cucumber, feta cheese, red onion, kalamata olives, olive oil, and lemon juice. Set aside.
To make beet hummus:
- Add garbanzo beans, beets, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil, za'atar, salt, and, if using, sugar to a blender or food processor container. Pulse until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides with a spatula.
- Transfer beet hummus to a bowl. Top with an additional glug of olive oil and a sprinkle of za'atar (saving remainder of za'atar for another use). Arrange cucumber-feta relish on top of hummus. Serve with Crunchmaster crackers and fresh cut vegetables.