by posting this recipe i am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the wild blueberry association of north america and i am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. i was not compensated for my time nor provided product.
at my house we are a little bit crazy in love with wild blueberries.
my daughter frequently asks for a bowl-full as a snack or dessert. because they are frozen, they are like nature’s dippin’ dots, but full of antioxidants, fiber, and naturally sweet. my answer is always yes…
did you know there is a difference between wild blueberries and regular cultivated blueberries?
- wild blueberries have a more intense flavor than regular blueberries.
- wild blueberries have two times the antioxidant capacity of larger cultivated blueberries.
- wild blueberries are proving to be beneficial in gut health, diabetes, cancer and brain health.
- the wild blueberry crop (99% of it) is frozen, locking in their nutrition and taste.
- wild blueberries are not planted and occur naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada that have been here for 10,000 years, hence the name “wild”.
- wild blueberries are found in the frozen fruit section of your local grocery store – just make sure the package says “wild.”
here at kumquat i’ve used them several times. my wild blueberry & champagne sorbet even won me a trip to the wild blueberry barrens. i posted the fun adventures of that trip alongside a recipe for these wild blueberry & caramel galettes (gluten-free, of course). most recently, this wild blueberry & pear almond bread graced my kitchen.
today it’s a smoothie, which the little frozen gems are perfect for! no ice is needed. because they’re already frozen they blend up and thicken all the while adding nutrition and flavor.
this smoothie has just about all of my favorite things… coffee, cacao nibs, extra protein via cottage cheese, and wild blueberries & dates to sweeten.
my kids loved it. my daughter wouldn’t let me take hers away. it was perfectly filling, with a delicious complement of flavors. and i knew i’d filled their tummies with a whole bunch of natural goodness.
this wild blueberry mocha chip smoothie is packed with antioxidants, fiber & protein with an extra kick of caffeine to start your day right #WildYourSmoothie #ad Click To Tweet
Wild Blueberry Mocha Chip Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 4 dates pitted
- 1 cup coffee room temperature (decaf, if needed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- extra cacao nibs for garnish
- Combine frozen wild blueberries, dates, coffee, cocoa, cottage cheese, cacao nibs, and salt in a blender. Pulse together. Top with cacao nibs as garnish to serve.