haaaappy birthday, recipe redux!
i’ve been tracking the birthdays of the recipe redux with those of this little site, too. see, the birth of the redux came about shortly after i started kumquat. so they are kind of irish twins.
it’s hard to believe it has been FIVE years since that very first redux post. mine was this post for grilled tandoori chicken skewers and i still love those (and even sent the recipe to my son’s teacher a couple of weeks ago). it seems fitting that my first post for redux was a little bit of gushing about regan. she’s just shared the kindest words in her 5-year celebratory redux post yesterday and featured a pretty delicious hawaiian bircher muesli to boot.
but regan isn’t the only mastermind behind the recipe redux. her incredible partners in crime, deanna and serena, are brilliant in their own right. i’m so grateful to call those two friends and co-workers, too. they are both salt of the earth and proof that this blogging experience brings together amazing people in a way nothing else could.
i’ll tell you as a member of the registered dietetic world, there was a very real time when it was almost impossible to find fellow dietitians who appreciated food and saw it for more than kcals, macro-, and micronutrients. knowing, now, more food-loving dietitians than i can even keep up with is an overwhelming and wonderful thing! and that is thanks, in large part, to deanna, serena, and regan bringing us together.
speaking of irish twins, a short while ago, deanna shared these whiskey bacon baked donuts. after wiping the drool from my computer screen, i knew the recipe was itching to be gluten-free(d). so that’s what i’ve done today.
in honor of my dear friend (and fellow blog brûlée founder!), deanna, i’m sharing these unreal donuts. totally delicious and super simple.
thanks, ladies, for all you’ve done.
i toast you today in the best way i know… with a donut.
Whiskey Bacon Donuts
- 2 teaspoons golden flaxmeal
- 4 teaspoons very hot water
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 280 grams 2 cups kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices bacon cooked, crumbled and divided
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water. Stir together until a slurry forms; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, and egg in a medium bowl.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl. Stir flour mixture and flax slurry into buttermilk mixture; stir until combined and stir in half of bacon crumbles.
- Divide mixture evenly among the lightly greased wells of two donut pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, whiskey, and vanilla in a shallow and wide bowl.
- Dip tops of donuts in frosting and sprinkle evenly with remaining bacon.