things at my house are starting to get serious…
this impending move is growing ever closer. in three weeks the troop of packers will ascend on this place and we will (once again!) be surrounded by a sea of packed cardboard. and then whisked out of here. while i’m grateful for these last few weeks to get everything arranged and organized before the pack day, there is always a sense of “let’s just get this over with”. you know, the slow pulling off of the bandaid.
if you’ve been a reader of kumquat for any moderate amount of time, you know that (for better or worse) when the going gets tough, i make muffins…
which was timely, as the recipe redux ladies challenged us this month to share a recipe that we make “from scratch” but used to make from a box, bottle or jar. i will admit that within the past year, i have made muffins from a gluten-free prepared mix a time or two, but honestly these days i usually whip them up from what i’ve got on hand. it’s much more economical and uses up easy ingredients.
i’ve kind of been on a strawberry kick of late. (maybe you were tipped off by this strawberry-mint agua fresca from last week.) i feel, however, it is greatly important to purchase organic strawberries. conventional strawberries are always on the “dirty dozen” list of foods, as they’ve been found by the USDA pesticide data program to have at least 45 pesticide residues from being sprayed in the fields. most of those pesticides are known hormone disrupters, neurotoxins, and can interfere with developmental and reproductive functions. with all of those little exterior seeds and tender skin, it is impossible to clean the berries of all of those nasty chemicals. so… buy organic!
back to the muffins… super simple, easy ingredients, and delicious. thinly sliced strawberries swirl throughout this guys, topped with a cinnamon-pecan streusel. these goodies are even made without refined sugars, only maple… the streusel too! speaking of streusel, i am now certain it should top every muffin everywhere.
Strawberry-Maple Streusel Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour with gum i used Glutino
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt i used 10% Cabot Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour i used Glutino
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine Greek yogurt, butter, egg, and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined; stir in strawberries.
- Spoon mixture evenly into a greased or paper lined muffin pan.
- Combine all streusel ingredients. Sprinkle tops of muffin batter evenly with all of streusel mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan.
*i used glutino all-purpose flour
click the blue link below to see what other staples have gone from boxes to “scratch” for my fellow reduxers…