undoubtedly, one of my favorite, favorite things about summer is the ease of getting together with family and friends.
the only thing sweeter than spending time with people we love and running around the great outdoors in the sunshine is having something delicious, sweet, and easy to serve. (that’s gluten- or grain-free, of course.)
this classic hits all those marks… a simple grain-free carrot cake with cream cheese frosting kind of makes my heart sing a little bit.
Simple Grain-Free Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, combine brown sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and carrots with a wire whisk.
- Add sugar mixture to almond flour mixture; stir with a wire whisk until well combined.
- Pour mixture into an 12- x 8-inch well-greased pan (or 9- x 9-inch pan). Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until pick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean. Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and milk/cream. Beat until fluffy. Spread evenly over cake. Garnish with fresh carrots, if desired.