i don’t know about your house, but pizza is big around here.
so this month’s recipe redux challenge was a breeze. it seems many of the pizzas we eat around here are from the gluten-free frozen section of the grocery store, but i’m glad to have a reliable and delicious homemade crust recipe in my back pocket.
maybe you remember this mouthwatering caramelized onion, bacon, and apple pizza? or maybe this crazy awesome mozzarella pizza with pine nuts, currants & arugula (it’s in my book too!!)? if you’re amazing and you own my book, then you’ve also seen my pizza margherita and my barbecue chicken pizza.
the crust on all of those delicious gluten-free pizzas are the same. today’s crust is just a tad different.
i’ve begun to see the real value of adding protein back into my gluten-free baked goods. gluten is a protein, after all. so when it’s removed those structural properties are lost. i’ve always known binders were necessary for support when baking gluten-free. i have added flax slurries for years now and many others use xantham gum. i’ve had many successes along the way.
but i think there is something to adding protein back in too.
it makes for a firmer, more structurally sound product.
so here’s my favorite homemade gluten-free pizza crust. stronger. and higher in protein too.
Bacon, Pear, & Parmesan Pizza with Arugula
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground golden flaxmeal
- 3 tablespoons very hot water
- 350 grams about 2 1/2 cups kumquat's all-purpose flour
- 50 grams about 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons active-dry yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water 110°, divided
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 5 slices bacon cut into thirds and cooked until almost crisp
- 1 ripe pear seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups arugula
- Combine flaxmeal and 3 tablespoons very hot water in a small bowl until a slurry is formed; set aside.
- Combine flour, whey protein, and salt in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Combine yeast, olive oil, sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in a medium bowl or measuring cup. Allow to rest for 3 minutes for yeast to activate. Add yeast mixture and flax slurry to flour mixture; mix until dough comes together in a ball. If dough is too dry, add enough water to for a tender, pliable dough. Set aside, covered, to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll dough out to desired thickness; transfer to pizza stone or baking sheet. (i roll mine out directly onto lightly floured baking sheet.) Brush olive oil over entire dough and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder.
- Sprinkle dough evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Top evenly with bacon and pear slices. Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes.
- Drizzle pizza evenly with oil. Boil vinegar in a small saucepan until it thickens a bit. Top each pizza slice with 1/4 cup arugula and drizzle with balsamic reduction.