it’s barely october and it seems we’ve already been inundated with pumpkin recipes.
like many things these days, pumpkin has become quite the craze… it’s being infused into everything possible, from sweets to savories to beverages. pumpkin spice lattes even have their own acronym now, the psl. that’s serious business.
other than trendiness, i think there’s another reason…
you see, whether you’re cooking a whole pumpkin or even just opening a can of pumpkin puree, there is quite a bit of pumpkin to be used. many of the recipes, like the psl or even baked goodies like these pumpkin chocolate-cranberry biscotti only use a small bit of pumpkin. so then what do you do with the rest of the can or, for heaven’s sake, the whole darn pumpkin you just cooked.
finding recipes to prudently utilize all of that extra pumpkin is the key after you’ve stored the extra pumpkin in your fridge! and finding easy quick recipes is always a bonus.
that’s precisely what inspired this yummy one. a quick, simple, no-bake ball that tastes like fall and has a nice dose of protein for good measure. i used this vanilla whey protein that we love and use a lot at my house. the gingersnaps are some of our favorites around here too.
whether you’re loving the pumpkin right now or you’re over it, we certainly all want to be frugal. so in the name of frugality, and with a tremendous yum factor to boot, go ahead and make these guys.
pumpkin cheesecake protein balls
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled gluten-free soft gingersnaps such as Midel brand
- additional finely crumbled gluten-free gingersnaps for rolling
- Combine cream cheese and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Chill until firm.
- Spoon mixture out and roll into a 1-inch ball. Roll each in additional finely crumbled gingersnaps. Chill until ready to serve.