i’ve been sitting on this post for about a week now. recipe, food prep, photo, all of it, has been done this whole time. i’ve just been waiting for the right words to come to tell of fond memories of a delicious breakfast in maui with my husband, when we lived in hawaii for a while.
truthfully, right now, all of my creative energy is being sapped by a tiny, growing person in my belly. yes… our second child is on its way. i had high hopes and big plans of ways to share the news on the blog. just like i knew i wanted to share this recipe too. just didn’t really plan that they’d go together.
but sometimes, it is what it is and life happens. and sometimes it’s nice to step back and let the energy flow to the most important things.
Maui Mango Cheese Blintzes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup about 140 grams kumquat's all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Extra oil for brushing skillet
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh mango *ripe champagne mangoes, if you can!!
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
Grade B Maple syrup
- Combine flours, sugar, eggs, milk, 3 tablespoons canola oil, vanilla, and salt in a large measuring cup or bowl. Stir well with a wire whisk until smooth. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Brush with a generous bit of oil. Pour scant 1/2 cup batter into skillet and tilt pan quickly to coat bottom. Cook crepe until golden on bottom, about 30 seconds. Carefully flip crepe with a spatula and cook other side for an additional 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate, stacking crepes between wax paper, so they don’t stick together. Continue with remaining batter, brushing skillet with oil between crepes.
- Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, coconut sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Spoon 1/4 cup filling into a crepe. Roll crepe up like a burrito. Melt a bit butter in a large skillet; cook filled crepe, seam side down for 1 minute, or until just browned. Turn and cook an additional minute or until browned. Add a bit more butter and continue with remaining filled crepes.
- Combine mango and coconut sugar; spoon mixture over cooked blintzes. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.