today we are celebrating the last recipe redux of 2015.
this marks the 54th month i’ve been posting with this group. time flies, really! the fact that this is christmas week and 2015 is coming to a close is shocking to me. maybe the warm-ish weather has the holidays taking me a little off-guard. though don’t get me wrong… after the two doozy winters i spent in northern new york, you won’t hear me complaining about a 70 degree christmas.
to celebrate those 54 months, the redux ladies have challenged us to make something from the 54th page (or 154th page, if needed) of our nearest cookbook.
though i’m a sincere cookbook lover, i’m often more apt to grab a magazine or a page i’ve pulled out to try instead of a book. and in the spirit of being real, the december 2013 martha stewart living that i’ve hung onto was the nearest to me. in it are cookies and cookies. in it are the cinnamon log slices i posted last week. (so delicious!)
i seem to have unintentionally carried a theme of gluten-free cookies this month on this little site. so seeing the sugar cookie cut-outs on page 154 of the magazine seemed like serendipity.
because we are reduxing, i’ve switched half of the refined white sugar with maple sugar (not syrup). the maple flavor isn’t strong, but it’s nice to have a little break from the refined stuff. of course, i’ve converted it all to a gluten-free treat too.
i didn’t hang them from my tree as she suggested, but i do love the idea. i just know my little people too well and don’t want to find someone crawling up the tree for an afternoon snack.
i really love the classic sugar cookies i’ve posted here on kumquat before, but these are a nice option too!
now, as we approach this wonderful week… may i wish you the merriest and most blessed of christmases. may you be surrounded by those you love. may you rest in the warmth of the season. and may the peace of the One who was born that day reign in your hearts today and always!martha's sugar cookie cut-outs reduxed with a little less refined sugar & made #gf for #thereciperedux Click To Tweet
martha's sugar cookie cut-outs
- 2 teaspoons golden flaxmeal
- 4 teaspoons very hot water
- 280 grams about 2 cups kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water; stir to form a slurry and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter and sugars in a larger bowl; mix with an electric mixer until creamed together. Add egg and vanilla; mix until well combined. Add flour mixture and flax slurry to butter mixture to form a dough. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough between two pieces of parchment to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with cutters and place cut cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill for an additional 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Bake cut cookies at 325° for 12 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Set cookies aside to cool. Combine powdered sugar, meringue powder, and milk to form an icing thick enough to spread, but not runny. Ice cookies and sprinkle with sugars as desired.
be sure to check out the rest of this month’s posts by clicking here: