disclosure: i received free samples from JSL foods. by posting this recipe i am entering a recipe contest sponsored by JSL foods and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. i was not compensated for my time.
a couple of weeks ago, in one of my “all the things” posts, i referenced a great article about the importance of traveling in your 20s.
i so agree. if you are 20, then go. go now, before it’s too late.
i was lucky enough that my early to mid-20s were an “unmarried, with a job” segment of life. take off for a long weekend in new orleans? sure! drive cross country to santa fe? let’s go. fly to tanzania to sleep in a small tent in the serengeti? absolutely.
the second half of my 20s were newly wedded. living in germany and hawaii. i highly recommend this. we have the military to thank for making those decisions for us, but still… highly recommended. once again… wanna have thanksgiving in turkey? feel like taking the train to paris this weekend? how about a camel ride through tunisia? seriously.
my kids have no idea how cool their parents were before they came along. kidding… kind of.
i will add… parenthood and mothering was always my greatest dream. this week i celebrate the birthdays of my two pretty girls only 1 week (and almost 3 years) apart, i am grateful. but darn, things are a lot less exciting on the travel front.
so i remember… one of the coolest trips we took was to bangkok, thailand and angkor wat, cambodia. we did a whirlwind tour through both of them, not at all allotting as much time as we should have. so many memories of temples, rickshaws, boat tours, ancient ruins, monkeys, and food. the food…
one night in bangkok (wait… honestly, no pun intended) i had the best pad thai of my life. the rice noodles, peanuts, and slight kick of heat was amazing! since then i’m never one to pass up a pad thai.
so i jumped on those and combine them with some other delicious flavors to create these mandarin pad thai spring rolls. the thai peanut noodles are fresh, refrigerated noodles that come with a perfectly-flavored spice pack. it can’t get easier. and these spring rolls definitely didn’t disappoint. except my husband and son ate most of them and didn’t leave me with much.
mandarin pad thai spring rolls
- 1 7.9 ounce package JSL Thai Peanut Rice Noodles
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- rice Spring Roll wrappers
- 12 mandarin oranges sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/3 cup 1/2-inch horizontally sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Lime slices
- Prepare Peanut Rice Noodles according to package directions (omitting stir-frying vegetables), using flavor packet.
- Stir in chicken; set aside and keep warm.
- Soak 1 spring roll wrapper in warm water.
- Transfer to a clean surface. Place two mandarin slices in the center of hydrated spring roll wrapper. Top with 1 tablespoon each cilantro leaves, carrots, green onions, and peanuts.
- Top with about 2 tablespoons Thai Peanut Rice Noodle mixture.
- Fold one edge over fillings. Fold each uncovered side of Spring Roll wrapper inward and tightly roll up to finish.
- Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers and remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately with lime slices.