everything is better with a donut.
and don’t you know no dietary restriction is gonna keep me from a good donut.
that’s what this one is all about… no gluten? check. no grains? check. no eggs? check. no dairy? yep.
just in time for next week. the week where all of the chickens go back to school. the last of the summer stragglers. and the mommas, who’s hearts are splitting and celebrating simultaneously, may just need a donut.
Grain-Free Vegan Blueberry Lime Cake Donuts
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening such as Spectrum
- 1 tablespoon lime rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/3 cup freeze-dried blueberries or fresh
- 1/4 cup freeze dried-blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flaxmeal and warm water to for a slurry; set aside.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix together lime rind, 1/4 cup lime juice, maple syrup, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add mixture and flax slurry to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Stir in 1/3 cup freeze-dried blueberries.
- Divide mixture evenly among 8 greased donut pan wells.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool; carefully turn out donuts.
- Place 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries in a small zip-top bag. Beat with a rolling pin to make a powder. Transfer blueberry powder to a medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and stir to combine. Add 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice to make a thick glaze.
- Spoon glaze onto donuts. Top with sprinkles, if desired.