this week, fall is for real.
the leaves around here have a little bit of catching up to do, but the cool has settled in and and the shorter sunlit days are here.
now is when i want to tuck into a cup of coffee and a delicious baked treat. something to warm my hands and my belly, and help me get through the afternoon and evening hours.
this time the goodie comes in one of my most favorite forms… a biscotti. and it’s loaded with some of my beloved fall flavors, both sweet and savory.
these grain-free sweet sage and pecan biscotti are the perfect little cookies to usher in the fall. they are the perfect marriage of sweet with just the tiniest hint of savory. plus they are sweetened naturally with maple and loaded with a good dose of protein from nut flour.
Sweet & savory make the perfect pair in this delicious #grainfree Sweet Sage & Pecan Biscotti Recipe Click To Tweet
Grain-Free Sweet Sage and Pecan Biscotti
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons organic vegetable shortenening such as Spectrum
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut shortening into almond flour mix with a pastry cutter or two knives.
- Stir in maple syrup and vanilla to form a cohesive dough.
- Stir in 1/3 cup pecans and sage.
- Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet and form into a rectangle, about 10-inches long and 1 1/2-inches thick.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon chopped pecans down the center of the rectangle of dough, gently pressing nuts into dough.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Cut into 1-inch thick slices.
- Return to oven and bake 4 minutes.
- Turn biscotti on its side and bake an additional 4 minutes.
- Turn biscotti to its other side and bake an additional 4 minutes.
- Allow to cool.