sometimes it’s just good and you want to share it.
so here it is… a grain-free skillet cinnamon roll.
it is gooooood. and big enough you can share it too.
Grain-Free Skillet Cinnamon Roll
- 2 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated palm shortening, such as Spectrum
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons very soft butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone
- 1 tablespoons milk
To make dough:
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk; stir together until a dough forms.
- Roll dough between two sheets of parchment paper into a rectangle and to about 1/2-inch thickness.
To make filling:
- Combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl.
- Remove top sheet of parchment from dough. Spread filling evenly over entire rectangle of dough.
- Cut dough lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch strips. Roll up one strip to make center "roll". Place roll into the middle of a 9-inch iron skillet.
- Wrap remaining strips around middle roll, connecting the new end to where the last end stopped, to form one large, continuous roll. (Cut strips in half width wise to make them shorter and easier to handle, if needed.)
- Once all strips are wrapped, bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- While roll is baking, stir together powdered sugar, mascarpone icing, and milk to make a thick icing.
- When roll is cooked though, remove from oven and allow to sit 10 minutes. Spread icing evenly over cinnamon roll.