disclosure: as co-founder of blog brulee i was compensated by LIBBY’S for their sponsorship of the event. all opinions are my own.
unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know it’s here.
it is the season of the pumpkin. and here in ‘merica, we love our pumpkin.
cause, let’s be honest… what’s not to love.
adding even 1/2 cup of pumpkin to your dish, means you’ve bumped up the vitamin A (hello, antioxidant!) by 100% the daily value and increased the fiber substantially… which we all know is beneficial for our gut health, weight management, and just about everything else.
pumpkin also lends itself so beautifully to both sweets and savories. stir pumpkin into your chili. add pumpkin to your morning smoothie. give your lasagna a kick of pumpkin. pumpkin in your protein bites. pumpkin ravioli with brown butter and sage. gluten-free pumpkin empanadas for breakfast. PB&P for lunch. your afternoon latte… pumpkin. those potluck brownies… pumpkin. see… the possibilities are limitless when you think outside of the pie.
although fall means those lovely round orbs decorate our tables and our doorsteps, there’s really no reason we don’t eat pumpkin all-year long. why miss out on all of that flavor and those nutrition benefits during the other 9 months of the year?! LIBBY’S makes that possible with their cans of 100% pure pumpkin (and now an organic option, too!). this means no flavorings, preservatives, or gluten. yes, the grocery store walls seem lined with those orange cans this time of year, but those same cans are also available all year long in your baking aisle. (look for them near the pie fillings and spices, not by the canned veggies.)
these grain-free pumpkin sticky buns are a sure hit at my house. a super simple pumpkin dough filled, rolled, and topped with sticky, crunchy pumpkin seeds. holy moses… yes, please. your family will love these guys too! and would be happy to eat one any time of year. i know i would.
don’t miss the how-to video:
Grain-Free Pumpkin Sticky Buns
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening such as Spectrum
- 1/2 cup LIBBY'S canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup water
For the filling:
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sprouted or unsprouted shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sprouted or unsprouted shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
To make dough:
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder. Add shortening and cut in until evenly dispersed. Add pumpkin and stir to combine. Add water and combine to form a dough.
- Transfer to a surface lightly coated with arrowroot starch. Roll into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
To make filling:
- Combine all filling ingredients.
- Sprinkle filling ingredients evenly over rolled dough and spread to cover, leaving about 1/2-inch border on all side.
- Carefully roll short side of dough to form a long rolled roll. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine topping ingredients and place in an 7- x 11-inch baking dish.
- Cut roll into 12 even slices. Place on top of topping ingredients.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until rolls are done and golden and topping is bubbly.
- Careful turn roll out onto a serving dish. (Topping will be very hot.)