i’m not sure i’ve ever been so excited for summer since i’ve become a parent.
you know why?! because it means i’m out of school TOO.
no pressure of accomplishing work, momming, and teaching every weekday. and struggles of feeling i’ve relegated my kid to being an intellectual failure on the days i drop the schooling ball. (okay… that’s a bit of an exaggeration. mostly.)
so bring on the swimsuits, the flip flops, the sandcastles, and the pancake breakfasts.
i’m sharing this recipe today on healthy aperture’s blog for my gluten-free kitchen series. they are grain-free PB&J swirl pancakes… taking that classic lunch (that my daughter always wants for breakfast) and mashing it up with a pretty pancake. it’s loaded with protein, made with a super simple homemade jelly, and will leave all the bellies full without the typical pancake sugar spike.
Grain-Free PB&J Swirl Pancakes
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 3/4 cup peanut butter powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- To make chia jelly, combine berries and 2 tablespoons honey in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until berries are juicy and broken. Remove from heat. Stir in chia seeds. Pulse with an immersion blender, if desired, to smooth out jelly. Transfer to a bowl and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot, peanut butter powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine milk, eggs, oil, 1/4 cup honey, and apple cider vinegar in another bowl. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and mix until thick.
- Place chilled jelly into a piping bag fitted with a large tip or into a zip-top bag with the corner snipped.
- Pour 1/4 cupfulls of batter onto a hot, greased griddle. Drizzle a swirl of jelly onto top of pancake as it cooks. Flip pancake once it begins to bubble and cook on the swirl side until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Continue with remainder of batter and jelly.
- Serve with additional jelly, if desired.