8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Grain-Free Nutella Tree
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening such as spectrum
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup nutella
- beaten egg
- turbinado sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Stir in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water to form a cohesive dough.
- Divide dough equally in two.
- Roll out each bit of dough on a piece of parchment lightly sprinkled with arrowroot starch to a 7- x 10-inch rectangle.
- Spread nutella evenly over one rectangle of dough.
- Top nutella-topped dough with other rectangle of dough.
- Trim bottom of dough to look like a base of the tree. Trim off edges of dough to form tree. Make horizontal cuts on bottom sides of tree, leaving the middle uncut. Carefully twist cuts upward, being careful not to rip piece off. (Save trimmed pieces and cook them separately... keep them in the kitchen to eat yourself as a special secret stash. :)) If desired, cut a star out of trimmed pieces to place at the top of the tree.
- Transfer parchment with tree to a baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden.
*recipe inspired by this brilliant cheeky crumbs facebook video!