where to begin…
since i last posted there has been a tidal wave of changes… new state, new city, new house, new schools. so much new, as these things go with our frequent moves.
but we are settling into our new and it’s feeling a little more familiar.
there’s always a period of time in these moves where i physically can’t create because my kitchen is packed in cardboard boxes. then the phase of having to unpack it all and find the places for all of the things. funny enough, this is my least favorite stage. the decision fatigue of figuring it all out zaps my brain of any and all creative energy. i always know it’s a really good sign when i miss my camera and start dreaming about things to make in my kitchen.
that’s how this grain-free nectarine cream cheese pecan tart came about.
craving a cream cheese tart, drooling over these gorgeous organic stone-fruits at the store, and gah, missing the time to fiddle with a crust and make something pretty. basically, this tart is how i know i’ve arrived.
and it tastes delicious, too.
as always, dear reader, thank you for your ever constant patience with me and this site. it has seen many of these phases, for sure. and now my hopes are to stay true to this creative. to embrace the beauty again. and to keep this site and my life in general full of delightful and lovely things.
i hope that for you too!
Grain-Free Nectarine Cream Cheese Pecan Tart
For the Crust:
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening such as Spectrum
- 3 tablespoons water
For the Filling:
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 5-6 fresh nectarines pitted and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
To make Crust:
- Pulse pecans in a blender or small food processor until finely ground to flour.
- Combine pecan flour, almond flour, arrowroot starch, sugar, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening until well combined. Add water and stir to form a dough.
- Press mixture into a 14-inch rectangular tart pan (or round will work too!).
To make Filling:
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat until smooth with a handmixer.
- Spread cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the prepared crust. Top with sliced nectarines.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until crust is golden and done.
- Serve warm or chilled.