if you do just even the littlest bit of searching on my site, you’ll see that cookies are a common theme.
and then, if you look a little closer, you’ll notice that christmas is my most favorite time to make them.
during the rest of the year i’m really good (well, mostly) about tempering the sugar consumption in my life. but gosh darnit, holidays are just not right without cookie making and eating. just not right.
so, here’s another one to add to the christmas cookie plate… the gluten- and grain-free cookie plate that is. they are just as delicious as they are beautiful. your friends, neighbors, and family will be happy you’ve embraced your inner-baker this christmas.
i know mine are!
Grain-Free Lemon and Jam Linzer Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- zest of one organic lemon
- powdered sugar
- jam i used apricot, strawberry, and wild blueberry
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cream together sugar and softened butter in a medium bowl with a hand mixer until creamy. Add egg and vanilla paste; mix to combine. Add lemon zest and flour mixture to butter mixture; mix with hand mixture until dough forms.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper. Chill for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut cookies into an even number of cookies with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Cut centers out of half of the cookies with a small shape. Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 9 minutes or until just barely golden and wonderfully fragrant. Allow to cool completely.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon jam evenly over solid baked cookies. Sprinkle the cookies with the hole cut out of them generously with powdered sugar. Top powdered sugared cookies on top of jam-covered cookies to make a sandwich.