i am admittedly a little addicted to my donut pan. i’m also completely intrigued by baking without grains. throw in a delicious natural sweetener, like honey, and i can’t resist…
donuts always remind me of high school sunday school. every sunday dozens of donuts were brought in to church. somehow i would inhale four or five of those glazed sugar bombs, washing them down with a cup of orange juice. i cringe to think of how high my blood sugar spiked.
while my love of donuts continues (really… how can you not?!), it makes me all the more happy that nut flours add some protein and healthy fats to round out those sugars, not to mention render these guys gluten-free and grain-free. ground pistachios and unrefined honey bake so nicely together to result in a beautifully browned crumb. and the honey topping makes these divine.
perfect for a brunch or shower buffet, or just a lazy weekend morning… if only i’d had these in sunday school.
Grain-Free Honey-Soaked Pistachio Donuts
- 1/2 cup shelled salted pistachios, finely ground to a flour (i used my cleaned coffee grinder)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- about 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine pistachio and almond flours, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup melted butter, 3 tablespoons honey, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; stir well to combine.
- Spray a donut pan generously with cooking spray. Fill donut tins 3/4-full with batter. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly; remove from tins to a wire rack. Cool.
- Heat 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a small saucepan until warm and combined. Pour mixture onto a plate or shallow dish. Carefully dip tops of donuts in honey mixture; return to wire rack. Allow mixture to soak into donuts and cool.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk on a plate or shallow dish. Carefully dip tops of donuts in icing mixture. Allow to set.