this weekend was spring.
somehow i managed to sit out in the grass, face in the sun, in a sleeveless shirt. my oldest rode his bike, my middle child presented me with handfuls of flowers, and my little one toddled back and forth to a rock pit about 87 times bringing me loads of rocks, singing “raaahk” with each step.
it was great. i dare say i even got a smidge of color on my ghostly white skin. oh, happy day!
so you may be confused by gingerbread…?
i have confessed before on this little site my love for gingerbread. (i present these gingerbread waffle donuts and these gingerbread pancakes as evidence). and my firm belief that it is such a delicious thing that it doesn’t deserve being pigeon-holed into just christmas-time.
therefore, i present to you my easter cake… a grain-free gingerbread cake with tangerine-cream cheese frosting. top that lovely little spice-filled cake with it’s bright, citrus-y veiled robe of icing with some edible herb flowers and a couple of chocolate eggs, and you’ve got one delicious easter.
Grain-Free Gingerbread Cake with Tangerine-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- rind of one organic tangerine
To make cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line three (6-inch) pans with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, combine egg, molasses, canola oil, and vanilla paste. Add egg mixture to almond flour; stir with a whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Divide cake batter evenly among the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Don't overbake. Allow cake to cool.
To make frosting:
- Beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar, milk, and tangerine rind. Combine to form a spreadable frosting.
- Frost middle and tops of cake. I chose to make the frosting layers between the cakes thicker and the
- frosting on the cake itself thin to show off the gingerbread.
- If desired, top with edible herb flowers and chocolate eggs.