march brings the start of two big changes for our little family.
first… my husband is promoted within the military. we are so grateful and humbled that he is being given this promotion. i’m tremendously proud of the work he does, of the hours he puts in, of the pride he takes in doing his job well, of the way he wants to be an asset to those he works for and those who work for him, and of the way he sacrifices himself for our country and our family. he is a good guy. the kind you want on your team and protecting your country. but he’s quiet about it. so you won’t hear him tell you so.
second… we head to texas for a visit. to buy a house. while i feel like we’ve been here in virginia for a minute (really 8 months) and the thought of moving again makes me want to hurl, i can’t even tell you how happy i am to head back home. i am a texan through and through. and i can’t wait to return and set up house there this summer.
all of these changes have nothing to do with a tart… other than that a little bit of sweet deliciousness helps with the stress of the month. a spoonful of sugar, you know…
this grain-free chocolate hazelnut tart really is deliciousness.
that promotable husband of mine isn’t really quick to respond about how things taste around here. he appreciates it all and is supportive, but remember, he’s quiet. except with this tart. every time he had a bite he exclaimed about how great it was. that’s how i know it really is darn good. and because i’m nice, i let him have the last serving.this #grainfree (#dairyfree) chocolate hazelnut tart is easy and so incredibly delicious. Click To Tweet
Grain-Free Chocolate Hazelnut Tart
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts toasted
- 1/2 package Simple Mills Crunchy Double Chocolate cookies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter melted
For Chocolate Hazelnut Filling:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 ounces dark chocolate chips over 60% cacao
- 1/2 pint dairy-free hazelnut coffee creamer such as Califia Coconut & Almondmilk Creamer
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For Caramelized Hazelnuts:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 10-12 raw hazelnuts
To make Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place a lightly greased 14-inch rectangular tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Pulse toasted hazelnuts and cookies in a food processor until the are sand-like crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and stir in melted butter.
- Press mixture firmly in the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until crust is fragrant and set. Allow crust to cool completely.
To make Chocolate Hazelnut Filling:
- Place dark chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan; stir with a wire whisk until pale yellow.
- Add dairy-free coffee creamer and salt; stir until combined.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 175° when measured with an instant read kitchen thermometer (about 10 minutes).
- Pour mixture through a sieve into bowl of dark chocolate. Discard any bits in the sieve. Allow mixture to sit for 2-3 minutes to melt chocolate.
- Stir mixture well to combine with chocolate.
- Pour chocolate mixture into cooled crust. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
To make Candied Hazelnuts:
- Place a heavy cutting board on the edge of your counter near your stove. This will hold skewered hazelnuts in place after dipping in sugar. Place a baking sheet lined with parchment on the floor. This will catch sugar drips and make clean-up easier.
- Heat sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat sugar, brushing down crystals from the sides of the pan with a wet brush, until mixture is golden. Do not stir.
- Meanwhile, skewer hazelnuts gently on one end with wooden skewers. Insert skewer enough to hold hazelnut but not break it.
- Remove caramel from heat once it's golden. Allow to cool slightly and thicken. This will help it coat the hazelnut.
- Dip hazelnut in caramel to coat. Place skewer under heavy cutting board and allow sugar to drip and cool. Repeat with remaining skewered hazelnuts and caramel. If caramel gets too thick, reheat a bit to desired consistency.
- Allow nuts to cool completely. Cut caramel strands to desired length. Remove nuts and top tart with caramelized hazelnuts.