just a quick walk with my two girls and my big black dog over to the pool’s parking lot. that’s where our new neighborhood is trying to open a weekly farmer’s market.
lovely tiny yellow tomatoes, perfectly ripe avocados, and pretty blackberries spoke to me. “take me home,” they said.
much to my surprise, the blackberries weren’t for sale by the container… they came in a set.
a set of 3 crates. each holding 8 containers. for $10.
that’s a LOT of blackberries. for not a lot of money.
so i did it.
and carried all the crates, plus the tomatoes and avocados, walking my leashed giant pup, with my girls trailing behind, all the way home.
and now it’s the time to be resourceful with the berries. first up was a peanut butter toast with blackberries and honey. next was a pot of quick blackberry jam. then a million berries were frozen. a few more hundreds were popped into little mouths at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. and then this…
this delicious grain-free brown butter blackberry galette.
my simple and faithful grain-free pie crust rolled out. topped with a bunch of sweetened berries coated with a generous dose of browned butter for a wallop of nutty deliciousness. baked and loaded with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
this was treasured at my house. and devoured in record time. i wish i still had it.
now… off to plan more blackberry recipes. for the rest of the year.
Grain-Free Brown Butter Blackberry Galette
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- turbinado sugar
- prepared caramel sauce i love Mrs. Richardson's
- vanilla ice cream
- Prep pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue to heat; butter will foam and then subside. When butter begins to brown and smell nutty, remove it from heat. Transfer to a bowl to keep butter from continuing to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Combine blackberries, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Pour cooled brown butter over berries. Mix well.
- Place dough on a piece of parchment and top with another piece of parchment. Roll out dough to about a 14-inch circle or until dough is about 1/8-inch thick. Remove top parchment sheet and add berry mixture to the center of circle. Spread berries evenly over dough, leaving a 3-inch border.
- Gently fold edges of dough in slightly on top of berries (pick up parchment edges to help assist folding the pastry over), creasing the pastry as needed. Carefully transfer parchment with galette onto a baking sheet.
- Brush pastry crust with lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden and fruit is bubbly. (if not using a rimmed baking sheet, you may want to put something to catch any pie drippings under the baking sheet.)
- Allow to cool slightly. Serve warm with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.