did you go apple picking this weekend? grab a few extra pounds of them at the store? has the fresh apple cider hit your produce section yet?
if you answered yes to any of those questions, then this is the recipe for you.
those piles of apple cider donuts at the orchard stand are clearly not for us gluten-free eaters, so this one was in order. a necessity, really. plus i’ve made this one with an extra heaping of ground flaxseeds, so they’re delicious and better for you!
Grain-Free Apple Cider-Flax Donuts with Maple Glaze
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 cups peeled chopped apples
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax flaxmeal
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apple cider and apples in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes or until apples are very tender. Use immersion blender to pulse apples to smooth.
- Combine almond flour, flaxmeal, arrowroot, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine apple mixture, coconut sugar, yogurt, oil, and egg in another medium bowl.
- Add almond flour mixture to apple mixture and stir to combine.
- Fill greased cavities of a donut pan with mixture. Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes or until done. Allow to sit in donut pan for 3-5 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. (You may need to bake donuts in two batches if you only have one donut pan.)
- Combine powdered sugar with enough maple syrup to make a thick glaze. Spoon glaze evenly over cooled donuts.