walking through my local whole foods market (which these day i lovingly refer to as “the office”), i noticed the brick-oven pizza guy sprinkling what looked like tiny olives over a freshly mozzarella-d pizza dough. as i got closer i realized… those are currants. with pine nuts, arugula, and a lemon-infused olive oil. i want that pizza. unfortunately for me, there’s no gluten-free version there at the store, so… that’s where this month’s gluten-free ratio rally comes in nicely.
this month… is pizza.
ruhlman’s ratio for bread and pizza doughs is 5 parts flour to 3 parts water. my recipe used 420 grams of flour and 8 ounces (236 grams) of water, so that makes my ratio about 5 parts flour to 2.6 parts water.
this dough is tender and pliable, and could be rolled out without parchment. it does have a tendency to break a little if you try to move it after it’s rolled out, so parchment may be a good idea if you’re transferring it to a pizza stone. the final product is a chewy but tender pizza crust, that totally hits the spot for any pizza craving.
and, wow, this topping combination is brilliant… the sweet chewiness of the currants, salty cheesy mozzarella, crunchy perfect pine nuts, and peppery arugula. and finally a touch of the tart lemon oil… amazing.
this is also a sneak peek at what’s going into the gluten-free cookbook i’m working on…
Mozzarella Pizza with Pine Nuts, Currants & Arugula
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground golden flaxmeal
- 3 tablespoons very hot water
- 420 grams about 3 cups kumquat's all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons active-dry yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water 110`, divided
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella ciliegine cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup arugula
- Combine flaxmeal and 3 tablespoons very hot water in a small bowl until a slurry is formed; set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Combine yeast, olive oil, sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in a medium bowl or measuring cup. Allow to rest for 3 minutes for yeast to activate. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture; mix for 1 minute. Add flaxmeal slurry to dough; mix until dough comes together in a ball. If dough is too dry, add enough water to for a tender, pliable dough. Set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450`. Roll dough out to desired thickness; transfer to pizza stone or baking sheet. (i roll mine out directly onto lightly floured baking sheet.) Brush olive oil over entire dough and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder.
- Sprinkle dough evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese and mozzarella balls. Top evenly with pine nuts and currants. Bake at 450` for 16 mintues.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest and garlic in a small skillet or saucepan. Heat mixture over medium-low for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Strain mixture, discarding lemon zest and garlic.
- Drizzle pizza evenly with infused oil, and sprinkle arugula over top of pizza.
be sure to check out the rest of the pizza pies created this month. and thanks to karen of cooking gluten free for hosting all of us…
jenn of jenn cuisine made moitié moitié sausage & chanterelle pizza
meg of gluten-free boulangerie made provençal flatbread with olives & anchovies
tr of no one likes crumbley cookies made teriyaki chicken pizza
erin of the sensitive epicure made stuffed pizza pie: spinach, mushrooms and sausage
charissa of zest bakery made sauteed onion and sausage grilled pizza with basil
pete and kelli of no gluten, no problem made grilled pizza
mrs. r of honey from flinty rocks made pepperoni pizza & pineapple, black olive & ham pizza
caneel of mame me gluten free made pizza crust
morri of meals with morri made everything peace pretzels & pizza blanca
meredith of gluten free betty made pizza
claire of gluten freedom made fajita pizza with cilantro pesto sauce
dr jean of gf doctor recipes made pizza
brooke of b & the boy made dessert pizza
karen of cooking gluten-free made garlic, artichoke, sun-dried tomato, pesto pizza
lisa at gluten free canteen made rum raisin apple pizza pie