ruhlman’s ratio for a sugar cookie is 1.5 parts flour / 1 part sugar / 1 part butter.
the ratio i used was close enough. it came out to 1.8 parts flour / 1 part sugar / 1 part butter.
Classic Sugar Cookies
- 1 teaspoon golden flaxmeal
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- 420 grams about 3 cups kumquat's all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water in a small bowl. Mix well until a slurry forms; set aside. Combine gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer, or with a handheld electric mixer, for 5 minutes or until pale. Add flax slurry, egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract; beat until combined. Stir in flour mixture until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a large sheet of wax paper. Top dough with another sheet of wax paper. Roll dough to 3/8-inch thickness. Place wax paper covered dough onto a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove dough from freezer; peel top layer of wax paper off of dough and place back on dough. Turn dough over; peel layer of wax paper off of dough and discard paper. Cut cookies with desired cookie cutter shapes. Re-roll all excess dough and cut cookies (no need to re-chill).
- Place cut cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until edges are barely golden and middles look tender.