well, it’s the time of year that i state my shock that school has started for so many friends around facebook.
even more shocking is the friends whose children are starting their first year of college… college! weren’t we just there? the fact that i have a one-year old (on SATURDAY!) probably makes the fact that i could technically have a college freshman even harder for my brain to understand.
no matter what the age of your student, breakfast is an important one. if you’re like me then the mornings aren’t really the best performance in the kitchen. it’s more like an ugly, half-asleep race to get something nutritious into my people.
despite the fact that i plan to take on our first year of homeschooling this year (pray for me…) and i don’t have to hurry everyone into the car early in the morning anymore, i honestly doubt i’ll be whipping up anything impressive for breakfast before we start school. just being honest. it’s all about fair expectations here.
that is why i love breakfast cookies. i love them. my kids love them. they’re filled with good stuff that serves as breakfast or snack or a healthier dessert.
these blueberry coconut pecan breakfast cookies are the hands-down highest clicked recipe on my site and these super easy breakfast cookies aren’t far behind. since you, dear reader, seem to love breakfast cookies too, i’ve got a new one for you today.
these gluten-free chunky monkey breakfast cookies are chock-full of some happily kid-friendly favs… peanut butter, double bananas, and chocolate. (easily sub-in your fav nut butter or sun butter for those who aren’t friends with pb.)
save yourself that kitchen race in the morning and whip up a bunch of these… your little monkeys will love them as after-school snacks today and a quick grab and go breakfast tomorrow morning. the only down-side is they don’t seem to last long.
Gluten-Free Chunky Monkey Breakfast Cookies
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried banana chips coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl. Stir in peanut butter and maple syrup.
- Add oats, flaxmeal, and salt; stir to combine well.
- Stir in banana chip pieces and chocolate chips.
- Using a 1/4-cup measure, measure out cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, keeping the round shape of the measuring cup.
- Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until just golden around edges.