merry christmas to you and yours.
may this blessed holiday find your surrounded by those you love. twinkly lights. a spirit of joy. buckets of health. moments that make memories. and foods that make your heart sing.
for unto you is born this day in the city of david, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 2 tablespoons very hot water
- 400 grams about 3 cups kumquat's all--purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 3 packets 21 grams dried yeast
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar divided
- 1/2 cup milk warmed to 115°
- 1 cup softened butter divided
- 1/2 cup about 100 grams almond flour
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- rind of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1/2 cup candied orange or lemon peel
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Combine golden raisins and currants in a bowl; stir in rum. Allow to stand overnight.
- Combine flaxmeal with hot water; stir until a slurry forms and set aside.
- Stir together flour, xanthan gum, salt and spices. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and half of milk into the well. Stir to combine, incorporating a little of the surrounding flour. Allow mixture to stand in a warm place for 10-15 minutes, or until foamy.
- Cut 3/4 cup butter coarsely. Add butter and almond meal to flour mixture. Stir to combine, using a wooden spoon or hands. Add eggs, lemon rind, vanilla, remaining sugar and milk, and flax slurry. Combine well to make a dough. Add orange peel, almonds, raisins and currents. Knead into dough, adding a slight bit more flour, if needed, to keep dough from being too sticky.
- Form dough into a ball. Allow to rest and rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Knead dough to make smooth. Form into a rectangle about 12-inch long.
- Place rectangle on a piece of parchment or a baking sheet coated lightly with cooking spray. Allow to rest and rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Brush bread with butter upon removing it from the oven. Dust liberally with powdered sugar.
- Allow to cool completely.
* recipe adapted from this stollen recipe.