disclosure: i was asked to participate in the mccormick gluten-free recipe mixes launch as a member of the healthy aperture blogger network. i received free sample of the mccormick gluten-free recipe mixes mentioned in this post. i was compensated for my time.
i firmly believe that one of the unsung heroes of the bread family is cornbread.
the simple, easy bread requires no serious culinary skill or experience. just a dump and stir that results in a hearty, comforting bread that has brought nourishment and sustenance on this continent for thousands of years. the history of cornbread is rich, being influenced by native americans and southerners alike. i loved reading this history of cornbread recipes and all of its iterations over a period of 400 years here in america!
to me, cornbread is one of the most comforting of foods. pair it with a warm bowl of stew or chili on a cold night, and all seems right with the world.
mccormick has stepped in to make those comforting meals even easier for us gluten-free folks. four of their favorite recipes mixes, including chili, taco, brown gravy and turkey gravy, are now available gluten-free. they are certified by the national foundation for celiac awareness, and are made with the natural goodness of herbs and spices, with no MSG or artificial colors and flavors.
i’ve used the chili mix to flavor this cheesy cornbread… the perfect partner for a big bowl of chili. so while you’re at it, grab two chili mix packets, one for an easy pot of gluten-free chili and another for the cornbread.
chili-cheddar skillet cornbread
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon golden flaxmeal
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- 140 grams about 1 cup kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour or other gluten-free all-purpose flour without xanthan gum
- 130 grams about 1 cup gluten-free cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons McCormick Gluten-Free Chili Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Pour oil into a 8-inch skillet. Place in oven for 5 minutes as oven preheats.
- Combine ground flax and hot water till thick; set aside.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, chili seasoning, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Combine milk, honey, and eggs in a bowl or measuring cup. Add milk mixture and flax slurry to flour mixture and stir until combined. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Pour batter into skillet; batter will bubble in hot oil. Sprinkle the top of batter with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Return skillet to oven and bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden.