Sometimes the gluten-free life keeps you on your toes.
This world of celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and all of the other gluten-related, gastrointestinally effected issues is relatively new to all us medical professionals. There’s still a lot we are figuring out.
Did you know it can take an average of 11 years from the onset of symptoms to the diagnosis of celiac disease? It’s prevalence these days has brought it more to the forefront and on the minds of doctors, so at least they are thinking about it a little more. However, there are so many pieces to the puzzle.
In my experience and from what I’ve heard from others, sometimes just eating gluten-free seems to cut it for a while. Symptoms disappear and you feel better. But then it doesn’t cut it so much anymore. Maybe it just uncovers other things, like possibly SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)?
That’s where I am today… as I find myself with some questions that are yet to be answered. And so days like today (and for a little while longer?) call for grain-free, simple foods. But when you’re used to an easy snack or even a sweet dessert, you get creative.
That’s where these Coconut Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies come in. Coconut flour and oil are easy on the gut. The peanut butter-banana filling makes a delicious, just-sweet, middle. The chocolate is the only ingredient that is slightly controversial… but I was having a day, and I needed to kick (gently) against the grain. So only add the chocolate if you’re having a day too. Plus they are no-bake, so this is the easiest sandwich cookie ever!
If this all sounds unfortunately familiar to you, talk to your doctor or dietitian about SIBO, FODMAPs diet, and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
these grain-free, gluten-free, no-bake coconut peanut butter sandwich cookies are not only super easy, but are made of easy-on-the-belly ingredients. Click To Tweet
Coconut Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flour
- 5 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 banana
- optional: 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips at least 75% cacao, melted
- Combine coconut flour, coconut oil, honey, and salt. Mix well to form a dough.
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll to 1/8-inch thickness; chill for 10 minutes.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out 18 cookies.
- Combine peanut butter and banana in a medium bowl.
- Spread peanut butter mixture evenly over 9 cookies. Top with additional 9 cookies to make a cookie sandwich.
- Dip in melted dark chocolate, if desired.