q: why did gretchen cross the road?
a: because vince vaughn was on the other side covered in pesto.
this is my most favorite joke of the 90s told by my hilarious friend, carrie. (yes, the one i’ve loved since 4th grade who’s the best, was in my wedding, braved a bathless safari in africa with me, countless other trips and travels in the past and upcoming!)
it was so funny because it’s so true. the 90s was a full-time commitment to all things pesto and vince vaughn.
if you don’t know the vince vaughn of the movies swingers and a cool, dry place you’re missing out on some premium, grade a 90s vince vaughn. he was hilarious, endearing, and altogether delicious. as my other dear friend, amanda, so precisely put it… “i miss 90s vince vaughn.”
but i don’t have to miss my other love, born in the 90s. pesto. a good, real, fresh pesto. made with lots of garlic and parmesan. not the jar kind. don’t waste your time, money, or calories.
fresh pesto is super simple to make. as simple as dumping the ingredients in a blender or processor, and bblltzzzz, it’s done.
i throw this stuff on everything… chicken, pasta, soups, rice, sandwiches, fish, a spoon, pretzels, crackers, cream cheese…
or 90s vince vaughn.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves packed full
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Pulse until combined.
- Scrape down sides of processor or blender container.
- Add oil and pulse until bright green and well combined.
- Store, covered, in the fridge.