disclosure: i received free samples florida crystals® raw cane sugar. by posting this recipe i am entering a recipe contest sponsored by florida crystals® and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. i was not compensated for my time.
“the brave who focus on all things good and all things beautiful and all things true, even in the small, who give thanks for it and discover joy even in the here and now, they are the change agents who bring fullest Light to all the world.” – ann voskamp
even when the beautiful little things are cookies dressed in sweet robes and glittery fresh herbs.
these brown sugar olive oil shortbread cookies with sugared thyme are a full of flavor and crunch and sweetness. i am totally loving the way the olive oil comes through, but the brown sugar gives a one-two punch of earthy sweetness and shortbread crunchiness. (the florida crystals® brown sugar gives an extra dose of molasses with these, too!) ohhh, and the sugared thyme… i couldn’t resist. they are so sweet and simple and lovely.
may you see the beautiful and the good, even in the small things, as we give thanks this week. and be brave.
brown sugar olive oil shortbreads with sugared thyme
- 10-12 small sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup sugar such as Florida Crystals® Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (tested with King Arthur brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup brown sugar such as Florida Crystals® Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar such as Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
To make Sugared Thyme
- Steep fresh thyme in hot water for 5 minutes. Remove from water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle thyme with sugar and allow to dry.
To make Cookies
- Combine flour, xanthan gum, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil and stir until a dough forms. Stir in thyme leaves.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cut cookies out with a 2 1/2-inch cutter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Gather scraps; reroll and cut to use all of dough.
- Bake at 325° for 28 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Allow to cool.
- Combine powdered sugar and hot water to make a thick icing.
- Ice one-half tops of each cookie. Place a sugared thyme sprig on top of icing. Allow icing to dry.