in the midst of 100+ degree weather and multiple forms of chaos occurring in our family, we decided to take our little family to a berry patch.
i know i’ve mentioned several times how blessed i feel to have so many vineyards and orchards surrounding us here in virginia. we’ve hit many of them in the past couple of years, though this was our first time to pick blackberries.
something about fresh berries calls for something comforting and easy. this morning, that meant a simple cobbler. honestly, we ate it for breakfast. and we’re just about to have some more for dessert.
so while things are hot and busy and, at times, very stressful, sometimes it’s good to take a break with family and dig in to something fresh and sweet…
next stop… peach orchard.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup gluten-free Bisquick Mix
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
Coconut sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine berries, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine Bisquick, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, coconut milk and softened butter in a medium bowl.
- Place butter in a 10-inch iron skillet; place skillet in oven until butter has melted. Spoon berry mixture evenly into skillet. Evenly spoon and spread topping mixture over berries. Sprinkle with a bit of coconut sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until topping is golden and berries are bubbly.