i read the text and i smiled so big.
it was from my momma, who is my best friend and most trustworthy recipe tester.
since i have been making my best efforts to be grain-free and give my belly a break, i’ve been trying to use more almond flour. man was i craving a chocolate cake. and a big, lovely bundt, chocolate cake. so i went for it, even refined sugar free!
i sent the recipe on, after my first bite, to my mom.
here’s what she sent back…
OK!! I just had a piece of the best chocolate cake I have eaten in years! It took me back to my childhood and the cakes we used to get from the bakery.
Omg Gretchen, you have hit this one out of the ballpark. It’s all I can do to not go back and get another slice.
it really is the best ever grain-free chocolate cake. if you don’t trust me, trust my momma.
Best Ever Grain-Free Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee cooled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- Cooking spray
- 3 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
optional: butterfly made from dark chocolate candy coating & edible glitter
To make cake;
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine almond flour, cocoa, whey protein, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum in a large bowl.
- Beat butter, in another large bowl, with a handmixer until fluffy. Add honey and beat with handmixer until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions to combine. Add milk, coffee, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla to butter mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Add butter mixture to almond flour mixture and mix with hand mixer until all thoroughly combined.
- Coat 12-cup bundt pan generously with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan.
- Cook at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
To make glaze:
- Combine chocolate chips and heavy cream in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well until chocolate melts and glaze forms. Spread evenly over top of cooled (or just warm) cake.
- Melt candy coating according to package directions. Free form butterfly wings and body onto wax paper. Sprinkle with edible glitter. Attach butterfly wings to body to make a 3-dimensional butterfly using additional candy coating. Allow to dry and set. Place on cake.