once again, we’ve reached the moment.
you’ve seen it too. the arrival of the pumpkin.
the pumpkin patches, the pumpkin breads, the pumpkin soups and PSLs (pumpkin spice lattes, in case you missed it).today we head to the local farm, decked out to the nines with pumpkins and fall and all things fun. hay rides, baby chicks, rope swings, and corn mazes. while i plan to bring back a collection of round pumpkins and festive gourds to decorate with, i have to admit… my true fall love, is apples.
these apple rose tarts are it. sweetened with a cinnamon crunch and wrapped up beautifully (and easily too!) in a simple gluten-free dough. these rose tarts a gorgeous enough to impress your holiday dinner guests, but effortless enough to have around to celebrate any old day of fall.
be sure to not miss the video (my FIRST real video)! while it’s nothing professional, it will show step by step how to make these lovelies.
and ALSO… i have another extra special fall gift. be sure to sign up by entering your email address over on the right on my site. you’ll instantly receive my fall ebook (also a FIRST!) of the top autumn recipes on kumquat. you won’t want to miss them!
now… off to the pumpkin patch. crossing my fingers they have apples, too!
this #GF apple rose tarts recipe post is packed with a bouquet of fall gifts! Click To Tweet
Apple Rose Tarts
- 1 cup kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unflavored whey protein
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples cored and cut into thin 1/8-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine flour, whey protein, xanthan gum, and salt in a medium bowl. Add butter and cut into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in sour cream until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly and then roll dough to approximately an 8- x 6-inch rectangle. Fold dough like a letter, folding top third down and bottom third up. Rotate dough 90-degress and repeat rolling and folding. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and cinnamon; and set aside.
- Place apple slices onto a plate and microwave for 1 minutes or until softened.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 12- x 10-inches.
- Cut dough into 6 (2 - x 10-inch). strips.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place apples slices, slightly overlapping, with peel side facing out onto have of strip. Fold remaining half of dough over apples. Brush with melted butter. Roll up from short side to make rose tart shape.
- Repeat with remaining dough, apples, and butter.
- Place rolled tarts into muffin tins coated with cooking spray or butter. (sprinkle with additional turbinado sugar, if desired.)
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.