finally… school has begun in the brown house.
the curse and the blessing of homeschooling is that the timetable is all our own. truly, i love being able to call the shots on our calendar, making room for life and family where we need to, without having to be beholden to a school board. this has proven invaluable in this ever-changing, nomadic life we have been living these days. but it also means, i’ve gotta make it happen.
and make it happen i have! this week, school has started.
i’m not gonna lie… somehow, over the course of the few months of summer, our skills have lapsed a bit. while my son is struggling to remember how to make a cursive “k”, i’m limping along with the schedule of things. it’s no joke, trying to teach a 4th grader, work with a pre-kindergartner on some legit phonics, and keep a toddler happy and entertained. it’s not for the faint of heart.
i know we’ll find our stride. hopefully sooner than later. and maybe i’ll find some free time to get a little bit of work done too!
which reminds me that i want to share a recipe with you that is not only super delicious, but also a great one to make the day go by easier for everyone. these delicious grain-free cheddar biscuits are a great breakfast, a great dinner accessory (think fall soups and old-fashioned backyard stew!), and for a grain-free sandwich bread option for a lunchbag.
there are a handful of recipes i make a whole lot from this site. typically, i like to try something new, maybe even shoot it and post it here. but this is one i really, truly make a ton of. this and the original recipe, these grain-free biscuits.
if you are gluten- or grain-free and you love/miss biscuits… don’t delay. these really are incredible. and if you aren’t gluten- or grain-free and you love biscuits… you won’t even believe your tastebuds with these. and i’ll bet you may even like these more. that’s how serious i am about these guys. lemme know what you think…
Delicious Grain-Free Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening (such as spectrum)
- 1/3 cup chopped Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese. Stir in heavy cream until a dough form.
- Turn out dough onto a surface lightly sprinkled with arrowroot starch. Knead just a bit to smooth out dough.
- Lightly press dough to about 2-inches thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch cutter, cut biscuits out of dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine and press out scraps to re-cut until all dough is used.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden.