what a lovely long weekend.
the weather here in the dc area has been amazing. just the kind that makes you want to sit out on the porch and stick your face in the sunshine. the ideal weather for having a passel of 9-year old boys hanging out in your backyard in mid-february.
and so it was.
my son’s 9th birthday is today! and this weekend was the celebration. a trip to a beloved lego batman movie followed by some seriously barbaric wrestling on our trampoline, cupcakes, pizza, creeper cake pops, and a piñata full of goodies. it was a great day spent with friends, being grateful for this extraordinarily incredible kid. really the most thoughtful, positive, encouraging little old soul i know. a great day.
so today i’m especially grateful for that boy. those 55 hours of labor that were so worth it 9 years ago.
it happens to also be the recipe redux day. and this time they’ve encouraged us to make a taco recipe for taco tuesday.
which always makes me think of the lego movie.
and so… all the pieces click together… my boy’s birthday, legos, and taco tuesday.
happy birthday, bud.
i’m forever and always humbled to be your momma. and so glad you are mine!
Lettuce Leaf Tacos with Avocado-Cilantro Cream
Yield 4 -6 servings
for avocado-cilantro cream:
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- juice of a lime
- 1 pound ground bison or beef
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- romaine lettuce leaves
- warm refried beans
- pico de gallo
- shredded cheese
to make avocado-cilantro cream:
- Combine all cream ingredients in the container of a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of the container.
to make taco meat:
- Cook bison/beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Add water, stirring well. Simmer water until mixture is saucy. Remove from heat.
- Trim ends off of romaine leaves and separate leaves.
- Top leaves with warm refried beans, meat, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, and a drizzle of avocado-cilantro cream. Squeeze limes over tacos. Serve with additional cream.