maine is the home to 60,000 acres of naturally growing wild blueberries. these tiny, brave berries love the rocky, acidic soil left behind after the glaciers of the ice age melted away and have been growing here for over 10,000 years! the low bush plants are perfect for the climate, too, because as the snow falls in maine the plants are insulated by the few feet of snow and take cues from the changing temperatures for ideal growth.
Wild Blueberry & Caramel Galettes
Yield 4 mini galettes
- 70 grams (about 1/2 cup) superfine brown rice flour
- 70 grams (about 1/2 cup) millet flour
- 18 grams (about 1/4 cup) unflavored whey protein
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4-1/3 cup ice cold water
- 4 cups frozen wild blueberries, unthawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- rind of 1 organic lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- turbinado sugar
- gluten-free caramel topping
- Mix flour and salt in the container of a food processor. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually blend in enough ice water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten into a disc, a about 5-inches wide and 3-inches thick. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove dough from fridge. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine wild blueberries and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll one piece of dough to a 7-inch circle between two pieces of parchment paper. Carefully peel off parchment and place dough circle on parchment on baking sheet. Place 1/4 of wild blueberry mixture in center of dough circle, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edges of dough inward toward center, pressing gently to seal; pinch together any cracks in dough. Dough will only partially cover wild blueberries. Repeat with remaining dough and wild blueberries.
- Brush dough with lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place pan in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Bake at 425` for 20 minutes or until pastry is cooked and lightly browned, placing a pan on the rack under baking sheet of galettes. Oozing berries is expected! Drizzle galettes with caramel topping.