i wonder if cows like pie?
cause if you’re supposed to bring your neighbor a pie when you move in to a new home to introduce yourself, i’ll be taking a cow a pie.
we are settling in to our new home in texas. back home.
surrounded by beautiful lakes and fields and flowers. and cows.
my kids are in heaven.
so instead, i’ll share with you… this mile high grain-free chocolate meringue pie.
i’m pretty sure and willing to bet you’re gonna love it.
Mile High Grain-Free Chocolate Meringue Pie
Yield 1 pie
for the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unhydrogenated shortenening (such as Spectrum)
- 1/4 cup water
for the chocolate layer:
- 9 ounces dark chocolate chips (69% cacao or higher)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint (2 cups) original coconut milk coffee creamer
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
For the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, sugar, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives until combined. Stir in water and lemon rind to form a dough.
- Roll out to a 12-inch circle on a surface lightly coated with arrowroot starch.
- Carefully transfer dough to a 9½-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Line bottom and sides of pan with dough.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet. Place a piece of parchment or aluminum foil on top of the dough. Fill inside of lined dough with pie weights, rice, dried beans, or sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is cooked.
- Remove weighted paper/foil. Allow crust to cool.
For the Chocolate Layer:
- Place dark chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan; stir with a wire whisk until pale yellow.
- Add coconut milk coffee creamer, vanilla, and salt; stir until combined.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 175° when measured with an instant read kitchen thermometer (about 10 minutes).
- Pour mixture through a sieve into bowl of dark chocolate. Discard any bits in the sieve. Allow mixture to sit for 2-3 minutes to melt chocolate.
- Stir mixture well to combine with chocolate.
- Pour chocolate into cooled crust. Chill for 4 hours or overnight until cool and set.
For the Meringue:
- Beat egg whites in a bowl over a pan of simmering water for 3 minutes. Slowly add sugar, beating whites over simmering water until stiff peaks form, or about 6 minutes.
- Pile meringue high on top of chocolate. Torch with a kitchen torch to brown meringue.