today it’s an official celebration.
and i’m really glad the recipe redux was able to bring it all together for me.
the challenge they have given us this month was based on the fact that may brings showers, parties, graduations… celebrations. and late spring celebrations call for some tasty drinks, whether boozy or not. and while this isn’t for a baby or a wedding or a graduation, it’s a worthy celebration nonetheless here on kumquat today.
this kumquat-strawberry margarita is a belated boozy birthday post for this site. march 8 was the official day, kumquat’s SIXTH birthday. and it’s also a hoorah for returning home to texas. where all of the big-wheeled trucks, long stretches of grass, and texas twangs soothe my heart.
what better way to combine the two than a kumquat margarita, with some seasonal strawberries thrown in for good measure?! i’ve sweetened this one with truvia to keep it sugar-free, minus the natural fruit sugar, yet perfectly sweetened.
each move brings with it a challenge, and this year will prove no different. but there are also things to celebrate.
this blog is one of the many. it’s been a gift to me over these six years. as always, i’m grateful. and i’m excited to see what opportunities it will open for me this time around.
now… if only i could hand you a glass. cheers!
For Kumquat-Strawberry Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup sliced kumquats
- 1/2 cup Truvia sweetener
For each Margarita:
- 1/4 cup sliced kumquats
- 1 1/2 ounces Triple Sec
- 1 1/2 ounces Tequila
- 1/2 ounce Kumquat-Strawberry Syrup
To make Kumquat-Strawberry Syrup:
- Combine water, 1 cup chopped strawberries, 1/2 cup kumquats, and Truvia in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit until mixture is cooled. Strain mixture, reserving the syrup and discarding the strawberry and kumquat pieces.
To make one Margarita:
- Swipe the rim of a glass with a sliced kumquat and coat with salt, if desired.
- Muddle 1/4 cup sliced kumquats in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add ice, Triple Sec, Tequila, and 1/2 ounce Kumquat-Strawberry Syrup to shaker. Shake well to combine.
- Pour into glass of ice and additional kumquat slices. Garnish with extra kumquat and strawberry slices, if desired. Store additional syrup covered in the fridge. Enjoy!