this month’s recipe redux challenge could not come at a better time.
if you know me personally or have been following this little blog for a while, you know we have a move coming up. and coming up fast. i’m in full-blown denial about all that is about to happen. and living every day as though there aren’t a jillion cardboard boxes in my near future.
one of those things that happens every two years (or 18 months, or 10 months, or whatever our length of stay may be) that most people who don’t move much wouldn’t think about is the food purge. think about it… the jars of pickles, the bottles of mustard, the salad dressings, the jams & jellies, the containers of feta, goat, and blue cheese. and that’s just the start of the fridge. that’s not the freezer or the pantry.
it’s true, some stuff in the pantry can be packed and moved. if you’re going straight from one spot to another. but an overseas move, forget it. and a storage move, no way. if you’re desperate you can take the fridge contents in a few coolers with you on a quick move. but when you have a house load, kids, car fulls, and plants, ain’t nobody got time for fridge contents.
so every time, i find a friend, and bequeath to them as much of my food as they want. after i’ve tried to faithfully use up as much as possible.
back to this month’s recipe redux challenge. it’s about using things you already have sitting in your fridge, freezer, or pantry.
it happened that i needed to use a frozen raw pizza dough ball, some chicken, barbecue sauce, a withering bit of fresh cilantro, and of course, bacon. and so these little grilled gluten-free barbecue chicken pizzas were born.
i love grilling pizza, especially once it’s warm outside (which isn’t quite the case here yet, but oh well). it gives such a great flavor to the pizza and keeps you from heating up your whole kitchen.
whether you have an impending move or not, being frugal with our food is always a good move. now, if pickle, jelly, mustard, sweet chile paste, caesar dressing soup could just work…
Grilled Gluten-Free Barbecue Chicken Pizzas
Yield 4 servings.
- 1 ball frozen gluten-free pizza dough, thawed (or make your own with this recipe)
- olive oil
- barbecue sauce
- shredded chicken
- mozzarella cheese
- cooked, chopped bacon
- chopped green onions
- Preheat grill. Divide ball of dough into fourths.
- Flatten dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Lightly coat both sides of dough with olive oil. Place dough rounds on preheated grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat to top.
- Use part of barbecue sauce to coat shredded chicken.
- Use more barbecue sauce to top pizza round. Place cheese, chicken, bacon, and green onions on top of barbecue sauce.
- Return to grill to melt toppings, or broil if needed.