warning… the above photo is not ice cream.
so if you think that’s what you’re getting yourself into here, you’ll be disappointed. unless you are my middle child and you demand on calling this ice cream anyway. because you are four.
it’s cookie dough! in a cone! yep, it’s a thing.
have you heard? there’s a whole store in new york that just recently opened that sells scoops of raw cookie dough, you guessed it, in ice cream cones, bowls, milkshakes, and more. their cookie dough contains no eggs or raw flour, so it’s safe to consume. it appears you can get a few options that are gluten-free, too. but none grain-free.
so, because i don’t live in new york yet i love cookie dough, i decided to make my own version. and make it with a few healthier options.
and why not jump in with both feet on rocky road? who can say no to chocolate chunks and mini-marshmallows.
the base of my dough is black beans and almond butter. it may sound weird, but it’s so yumm. trust me. you’ve increased the fiber, cut out a truckload of white sugar, and this one doesn’t require baking raw flours (cause now it’s believed there is a risk of e.coli in raw wheat flour to match the potential salmonella in the raw eggs… fun, huh?).
i haven’t tried to bake this dough, because *duh* we were too busy eating it raw on ice cream cones. but if you can always give it a shot. or confidently bake these peanut butter chocolate cookies that are pretty darn similar.
what do you think? is cookie dough your thing?
Grain-Free Rocky Road Cookie Dough
Yield 4 -6 servings
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup mini-marshmallows
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Combine beans, almond butter, coconut sugar, cocoa, maple syrup, flaxmeal, vanilla, and salt in the container of a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, and stir in chocolate, marshmallows, and pecans.
- Serve in a gluten-free ice cream cone or a scoop in a bowl.