it is not common that i go all out on a savory.
but when i do, it is go big or go home.
that’s what this kofta burger with fried feta and herbed tzatziki is all about. and all gluten-free, of course.
because sometimes there is nothing like spending the day on a weekend, creating something delicious for your family and friends. with a glass of something bubbly and some happy tunes in the air. and then… sitting around the table, seeing the fruits of your labor on your plate, and the happy smiles on the faces of those you love. ahhhh…
isn’t that why we do this all anyway?
Kofta Burger with Fried Feta and Herbed Tzatziki
Yield 6 burgers
For Herbed Tzatziki:
- ½ cup finely diced cucumber
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For Kofta Patties:
- 2 pounds ground bison or ground chuck beef
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
For Fried Feta:
- 1 pound block feta cheese, drained
- 1/3 cup kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Canola oil
- 6 gluten-free hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 slices red onion
- 6 slices ripe heirloom tomato
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
To make Herbed Tzatziki:
- Combine cucumber and ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain cucumbers and squeeze dry with a paper towel; return cucumber to bowl and set aside.
- Combine yogurt, sour cream, red onion, lemon juice, dill, mint, garlic powder, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir in cucumber. Cover and chill.
To make Kofta Patties:
- Combine ground meat, Italian parsley, onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Gently combined until mixed through. Divide mixture into 6 parts and form into patties. Place patties on preheated grill and cook 4-5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Set aside and keep warm.
To make Fried Feta:
- Cut block of feta lengthwise into 6 slices.
- Place flour in a shallow plate or dish.
- Place beaten eggs into a shallow plate or dish.
- Pour oil into a small skillet to the depth of 1-inch. Heat oil until a small pinch of flour begins to fry.
- Dredge a slice of feta in flour, then egg, then flour again. Carefully add dredged feta to hot oil and fry on each side until golden brown. Drain on a rack or paper towels. Repeat with remaining slices of feta.
To build burgers:
- Place a warm Kofta Patty on toasted bottom bun. Top with freshly fried Fried Feta. Top with slice heirloom tomato and red onion. Spoon a large dollop of Herbed Tzatziki on red onion, top with top of bun, and serve. Enjoy!