we are full swing into the joys of summer.
last week we were blessed to spend the whole week in the turks & caicos with my entire family. 12 of us in all. my sweet parents treated my sister’s family and mine with a giant house on the beach to celebrate my pops’ 70th birthday! it was a wonderful time together with lots of cousin fun in the pool and sunshine to tan our bodies. it only went by too fast.
the reality of most of my summer looks like time at the pool, dropping off and picking up from camps, play dates with friends here and there. all of the things that are great and fun and for which i’m grateful. but they sure make full, long summer days.
so i find myself most afternoons, after finishing up several rounds of taxi-driving my people, needing that strong cup of coffee and bite of something sweet. but not something cloyingly sweet or full of starchy grains.
so i whipped up this grain-free orange almond cardamom loaf cake. it’s all of those mediterranean flavors that were just meant to be together. without the glaze, the cake is satisfyingly flavorful and low sugar. the glaze kinda takes it a step further, but is optional if you don’t want it. i debated calling this a quickbread, but it was the sweet (heavenly) glaze that earned it a “cake” status.
these are the days to remember. seeing them through the eyes of our kids. knowing they are living their childhood. making memories. soaking up life.
and a little cake doesn’t hurt either.
Orange Almond Cardamom Loaf Cake
Yield 1 loaf cake
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon organic orange rind
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1/2 cup Greek plain full-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Greek plain full-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing paper to drape over long sides of pan.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine orange rind, honey, eggs, oil, vanilla, 3/4 cup yogurt, and 3 tablespoons orange juice in another medium bowl; stir well with a wire whisk.
- Add almond flour mixture to egg mixture and stir with wire whisk until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until pick inserted into cake comes out clean. Let cool.
- Combine powdered sugar and remaining glaze ingredients to form a thick glaze.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake.