i’m so excited!!! today is an extra special day!
this is one of my favorite things that has come out of my new series, all the things. you may remember me mentioning that i’m very excited about the wait, wait, don’t tell me show in my area. i love that NPR show and listen to it on their podcast on the weekends while i’m cleaning my kitchen or messing up my kitchen or driving to get groceries for my kitchen. it is my humorous, quick-fix way to keep up with current events and be entertained at the same time. (don’t judge me… i have 3 small kids and this is about as deep as i get into the news these days.)
well, deanna loves the show too and is coming with me to see it! i don’t know if i’m more excited to hang with her or to see the show or to have a real person break from the normal dinner-bed-time routine. the fact that all three are happening at once may just make my head explode.
she and the other redux ladies set the challenge this month to share a recipe taking advantage of the lovely vegetables and fruits available this time of year and the new fun trend of spiraling, ribboning, and shaping them into exciting dishes. if you haven’t seen the spiralized noodles made with zucchini, carrots, beets, and just about anything you can think of, then you’re almost definitely not a food blogger. it is a thing.
but i love the look of ribbon salads and the ease of making them. (path of least resistance girl, right here.) no need for fancy kitchen gear, just a simple vegetable peeler that even our grandmother had.
this asparagus and carrot ribbon salad was one of those recipes that came out better than i even expected. the dressing has the slightest asian flavor with a bright punch of lime and my favorite combo of cilantro and peanut. not to mention a little sweet, tart chewy cranberry. i loved it. i think you will too!
unfortunately i ate it all and deanna gets none. but that’s okay, cause we are going OUT!
have i said i’m excited yet?!
Asparagus and Carrot Ribbon Salad
Yield 2 servings.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup microgreens (or arugula)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Combine the first six ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a wire whisk to combine well. Set aside.
- Snap tough ends off asparagus and discard ends. Shave long ribbons of asparagus by running a vegetable peeler lengthwise down asparagus. For best results, place asparagus flat and run peeler horizontally down asparagus. When asparagus stalk is too thin to continue peeling, reserve remaining stalk for another use. Place asparagus ribbons in a medium bowl
- Peel carrots. Repeat procedure above with carrot to make long ribbons of carrot. Add carrots ribbons to asparagus ribbons in bowl.
- Stir in microgreens, red onion, parsley, cilantro, almonds, peanuts, and cranberries.
- Divide mixture among two plates. Drizzle reserved dressing evenly over each plate of salad.
- Serve immediately.
to check out all of my fellow reduxers veggie shaped dishes, click on the blue button below: