i have me a little baker.
my 3 year old daughter is now all about being with me in the kitchen. i love it (mostly).
she pulls up her little stool, and after reminding her to wash her hands, is ready to scoop, stir, combine, and whisk. she’s still asking why she isn’t allowed to use the big knives, but i assured her someday she will. (but let’s maybe start with plastic knives, sister.)
i’m a little bit single tracking on these waffle donuts lately. maybe you remember the gingerbread waffle donuts and their lovely deliciousness. or where it all started for me with the maple spice glazed waffle donuts. a lemon poppyseed version felt like a must. and my little helper was ready.
these lovelies are her first real creation. yes, i contributed with the lemon zesting and juice. and covered the danger:hot portion. but she was awfully proud of her work. and super eager to eat the whole plate herself, too.
today, i found her cleaning the living room and sweeping the kitchen. sweet little cinderella.
i think i’ll keep her.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend with binder (I used Thomas Keller Cup for Cup)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- zest of one organic lemon
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- garnish, poppyseeds
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Combine flour blend, sugar, baking powder, poppyseed, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk, egg, vanilla paste, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a measuring cup or medium bowl. Add milk mixture and melted butter to flour mixture; stir until just combined.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons mixture into the center of hot waffle iron; cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Combine glaze ingredients with a wire whisk to make a thick glaze. Add more sugar or lemon juice to achieve desired consistency. Dunk tops of waffle donuts into glaze. Allow excess to drip off and return to wire rack for glaze to set. Top with additional poppyseeds.