one of the truths of life i’ve found to be self-evident is that there are two camps when it comes to beets.
the camp that loves them. and the camp that hates them.
i proudly wave the flag of the former. i love beets. love them.
and it’s a good thing i do! those lovely roots are darn good for you. they are loaded with fiber, folate, manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin C. studies have shown that beets and their juices can decrease blood pressure and increase exercise endurance. they’re also really great at detoxifying the liver and gall bladder. (if you have gall bladder “attacks”, it’s time for daily beets!) those lovely colors aren’t just pretty to look at, but also have been shown to reduce inflammation and cancer risks.
their leaves are even higher in nutrients and benefits, so don’t throw them out! saute them with other greens, like spinach and kale. or serve them in a salad. like this one here. this roasted beet & greens salad with horseradish creme is packed full of flavor and nutrition! (and don’t miss the beet chips i posted in the past. they’re one of the biggest hits on this site!)
fellow beets lovers unite. i’m the only one in my household so far, so i’ll share with you!
a yummy, flavorful, #GF way to eat your greens and your beets... roasted beet & greens salad with horseradish… Click To Tweet
Roasted Beet & Greens Salad with Horseradish Creme
Yield 4 -6 servings
- 2 pounds (about 6) beets, tops removed and reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup torn kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap beets in foil, place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool
- Remove beets from foil and peel skins from beets. Cut beets into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine beets, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1 cup torn beets greens, kale, parsley, rosemary, and lemon juice.
- Toss beets mixture into greens.
- Combine sour cream, horseradish, and water.
- Serve beets and greens with a drizzle of horseradish creme.