this month’s recipe redux was a cinch.
you see, the topic was nuts. because i love them and seem to regularly eat my weight (probably not even much of an exaggeration) in them, the real problem was figuring out what to choose to do with them. and what nut to choose!!?
the humble almond it is.
that crunchy nut is in its heyday right now. with the paleo/gluten-free/grain-free movement in full swing, finely ground almonds have become the go-to replacement for wheat flour. and for good reason… almond flour make some darn good goodies.
full of fantastic nut oils, high in protein and super low in carbs, almonds are a great choice for making baked goods to satisfy some bread cravings but keep things grain- and gluten-free. even my ketogenic (“carbs are the devil”) husband didn’t feel like he was cheating too much to eat a slice of this bread.
i used honey to naturally sweeten this wild blueberry & pear almond bread (and the little bit of turbinado on top is optional!). pears are ripe and ready this time of year and pair nicely with wild blueberries to create a gorgeous bread, and to sweeten a bit too!
honestly, there are boundless ways to bake with all sorts of nuts. one of my favorite things to do! and this month, the reduxers are using nuts in every sort of way. check out the blue link below to see what everyone has done!
Wild Blueberry & Pear Almond Bread
Yield 1 loaf
- 210 grams (1 1/2 cups) almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, divided
- 4 tablespoons frozen wild blueberries, divided
- 1 pear, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some paper to hang over long sides.
- Combine almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl.
- Add eggs and honey; stir well. Stir in 1/4 cup almonds and 2 tablespoons wild blueberries. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Fan out slices of pear on top of batter. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon almonds and 2 tablespoon wild blueberries. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- If desired, brush top of bread with a mixture of honey and water.