the coffee creamer has a nice creaminess to start, with just a tad of sweetness and vanilla flavor. the cornstarch allows this recipe to remain egg-free, and results in a smoothness similar to the sicilian gelato style. not to mention, no stressful tempering of egg yolks into scalding liquids. lastly, the little shot of vodka is almost more for protection against freezing too hard than for flavor, though that subtle layer of flavor is pretty nice. i imagine kahlua would be a delicious twist too, but i didn’t have any on hand.
Chocolate Love Gelato
- 1 pint So Delicious french vanilla coconut milk coffee creamer, divided
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup very hot coffee
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Heat 1 1/2 cups coffee creamer in a medium saucepan until just simmering.
- While creamer heats, stir together chocolate chips and hot coffee until chocolate is melted; set aside.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup coffee creamer, cornstarch and salt with a wire whisk until smooth.
- When coffee creamer in saucepan is just simmering, stir in cornstarch mixer. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring with a whisk until mixture thickens and is glugging with bubbles. Remove from heat and stir in melted chocolate mixture. Stir in vodka and vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl; allow to cool a bit, stirring to keep a film from forming on the top of the mixture. Place plastic wrap over the surface and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Transfer chilled mixture (should be pudding-like) to the bowl of an ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to an 8-inch metal loaf pan and freeze for at least 3 hours. Indulge and enjoy!
*greatly adapted from this epicurious recipe.